Tuesday, July 25, 2006

"every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."



I was talking to my friend Scott, whom I have known since the sixth grade, and he told me about something pretty sweet that he saw on slate. This Jewish guy is Blogging the Bible. He is re-reading the good book and spitting back out his thoughts on it chapter by chapter, book by book. I have read the bible before, its pretty difficult to retain (Sheeba begat Sharden and Sharden begat Romanos and Romanos begat Linklatter and Linklatter begat Black, blah blah blah.) This is a great way to brush up on the general idea of stories and their morals without having to slave (get it?) over the whole thing.

I didn't remember how much sex and debauchery is in the bible, whoa-ho. Maybe I was too young the first time I read it to really pick up on how much G-d (you can't spell out or write the Lords name according to jewish law) sounded like a whiney tyrant. Sorry mom, but HE DOES. Its no wonder christian leaders are so war hungry, when G-d gets pissed there is no slaking his hunger til all the first born children of christian enemies are dead, literally. I would go further, but you'll just have to read for yourself

David Plotz
, a not so orthodox jew, plows through the Torah (Bible if you prefer) and picks up on the awesome things about the greatest story ever told AND the inconsistencies, mostly the inconsistencies. So far he has made it to leviticus, the law book of the bible. I am hoping that he will continue on all the way through. Its pretty insightful.

I consider myself agnostic, I have no clue what might be out there or if there even is some grande being. I hope that there is something, but it doesn't make much sense to me. The reason I post this link is because I hear alot of people dissing organized religion, me included. I don't know, I guess I just don't think you should dislike something as much as some people I know do without having some small grasp on it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agnostic means 'Having no Knowledge'...you are OK with that?
Wouldn't you like to have maybe even a little knowlegde? A trickle of knowledge/gnosis?

8/19/2006 7:48 PM  
Blogger Cash said...

yes i know what it means, but its most common use refers to your jury still being out when it comes to religion.

wiki says:
Agnosticism is the philosophical view that the value of certain claims as truth—particularly theological claims regarding the existence of God, gods, or deities—are unknown, inherently unknowable, or incoherent, and therefore, irrelevant to life.

and have you read any of this inane blog?

does it seem like I have any gnosis?

8/20/2006 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home