Thursday, July 27, 2006

Hang the meter maid


For those of you who are unaware I own a business downtown with my pal Max, we chose downtown because we were both very excited about the present growth of Jax's core. We are both beginning to regret that decision based on one fact... downtown has a PARKING problem. According to an article I uncovered in the Daily record, Suzanne Jenkins feels there is a problem as well. The problem isn't that there's not enough parking, the problem is that the parking system is not designed for downtown business owners and their patrons. For example, the parking right outside of the store at 114 East Adams St. is for one hour only. There have been a few instances where parkers have gotten tickets before their metered hour is up because the meter attendant assumed they would be there for longer than an hour. The same attendant told us that we are not only not allowed to park in the same spot for over an hour, or even on the same street , but also that once our metered time is up that we cannot park in downtown at all. That is just friggin' bonkers. The city of Jax wants businesses to come downtown and people to come to those businesses, but give them anti-incentive with this parking issue. Why would a patron come back downtown to buy things if they get a parking "tax" almost every time they come down here.

The city seems to be pushing people to parking in garages. Why? I guess I would think this is a fair deal except for the fact that Max had his car broken into while parked away from the store. For businesses open late, parking garages pose the problem of letting your car be a prime target for theives. I always feel safer when I can see the vehicle and keep tabs on it for myself. You could argue that we should park in a garage and then move our cars to the front of the store after six. This poses the problem of having to close down shop for 10-15 minutes while we move, and we could be missing potential sales during that time. The bigger problem, of course, is parking tickets and the nuisance of the parking meter assholes/attendants for our customers.

Downtown Jacksonville has endless potential, and developers are coming at it in traditional ways. I see new buildings being pooped out everyday downtown, so why can't we think more progressively? Look at Dubai... now, I'm not proposing that we could do what Dubai has done, that's outrageous, but they are definitely taking a different approach to the long-established-city-building-formula and finding new and revolutionary ways of incorporating modernistic beauty and functionality. I see no reason why developers in Jax can't think this way... PLEASE take some cues from our friends in the United Arab Emerates!

Shit man, I just wanna run my business and not worry about my customers being harrassed for parking downtown.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cash, I totally agree with you - parking downtown is a BITCH. At my old job, I had to attend several meetings at the Housing Commission, right down the street from MCR and they always had to announce breaks an hour after the meeting started so everyone could go feed their meter. That's annoying and really wastes time, especially if you have to park a couple blocks away. My friend used to live downtown and she would just let her car get booted because it was cheaper to get the boot removed than to pay for parking downtown! (She didn't drive much.) I don't see why we can't have free 2 hour parking in select zones, or at least make the meters good for more than an hour. Making people pay a shit-ton of money to park downtown isn't exactly a good way to draw people to the core!
All that aside, I think it's cool you guys are downtown because it means I have somewhere nice to go and spend money on my lunchbreak.

7/27/2006 5:03 PM  
Blogger Cash said...

word,
I think this is one of the main issues downtown, and solving it would bring alot more people there. Its not getting the attention it desreves.

7/27/2006 5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They want you to park in the garages because they overcharge for short term parking (up to $5 for the first two hours, when its only $6 for the full day).

The downtown retail environment won't change for the better until the parking situation is addressed. Unfortunately, many seem to want the money generated from parking tickets more than a vibrant downtown full of pedestrian friendly retail and dining.

7/31/2006 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right. Really, the administration of this town-- for a LONG time-- really drops the ball on SO many issues, whether they be very big or fairly small, like parking. I feel for you, too; i know what it is like to do everything you can to help your business, only to see something which you have no control over, but could easily fix yourself, given the opportunity, go and screww everything up for you. You guys would rule in 5 Points.

7/31/2006 11:38 AM  
Blogger Cash said...

yeah, we have thought about going into 5 points, it was an option from the beginning. We both love downtown and were hoping to be here to see it flourish. We'll see what happens and what decisions we make once the lease is up.

7/31/2006 1:26 PM  
Blogger The Urban Core said...

Biggie Tea's best bets for parking and enjoying MCR:
1. Come after 6 or on the weekends. Free.
1.b. Ride a bike or skate. Or, gasp, walk. Free.
2. If you are going to be less than one hour, street park on Adams or Ocean. Be careful not to stay over your meter or park in the speedy lanes that are ticketed during rush hour. Nothing says get the f outta town like speedy lanes. Fitty cent per hour.
3. If you are going to be between one hour and two hours park on Monroe. Its just a block north and features 2 hour meters with pretty good availability. Fitty cents per hour.
4. For really shopping your balls off, try the surface lot on Duval and Main. $4 all day. Still cheaper than the garage right across the street for the library but if money is no object you might want the Carling garage $6 all day.

DVI needs to update their site www.downtownjacksonville.org with daily parking info around you. You should hit them up. Also, I don't think the administration nor DVI nor Parking Services actually hears enough from retailers. DVI says its the number one thing they hear about but I've never been in a meeting with them and Parking Services together and I don't think they have a parking consultant anymore.

And also, please stay downtown.

7/31/2006 2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do They really want things to change Downtown, or is Their vision an Amelie-styled fantasy Downtown where every tower is luxury condos and every storefront is a Whole Foods or Starbucks? I'm betting it is because They sure own a lot of property Downtown...

8/16/2006 11:54 AM  
Blogger Hazel Donovan said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
car removal gympie
car removal rockhampton

7/02/2021 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.
scrap car buyer
cash for scrap cars brisbane

7/02/2021 10:25 PM  
Blogger Delight Car Removal said...

Thanks for sharing. Wow, that was strange. I just wrote a really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well, I'm not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
cash for old cars
cash for junk cars

7/02/2021 10:41 PM  
Blogger Hashtag Car Removal said...

Hi, I am really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and internet and this is actually irritating. A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.
cash for scrap cars sydney
car buyer in sydney

7/02/2021 10:58 PM  
Blogger Max Cash For Cars said...

Thanks for sharing. We pay our customers instant cash up to $9,999 without any waiting time. It is our policy to not let customers wait for their money. We also provide free towing services, so customers save even more money when dealing with us. This strategy has been a great success with our customers in Queensland. Through this, we gained a lot of goodwill from our customers.
scrap cars brisbane
cash for cars goldcoast

7/02/2021 11:47 PM  
Blogger Metalbiz said...

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work.
cash for scrap cars beenleigh
wreckers brisbane

7/03/2021 12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home